Activating Corona Renderer for 3ds Max
This guide will help you activate Corona Renderer using different methods. It also includes a list of common issues and solutions.
1. Installing and Activating Corona Renderer on a Workstation
- Download the Universal Installer from: https://corona-renderer.com/download/ and install Corona Renderer on your machine.
- Prepare your registered email address and your password if you are using a FairSaaS license, or your workstation serial number if you are using a Box license.
Your registered email address is the one you entered at the checkout page when buying Corona Renderer in our online store.
Your password was set by you right after the purchase after following a link in one of the confirmation emails. If you can't find this email, please double check your SPAM folder and other inbox folders or search your inbox for the keyword "Corona".
If you don't remember your password, or if you need to reset it for any other reason, please visit this link.
- Run 3ds Max, set Corona Renderer as your active renderer, and hit render in any (even empty) scene.
A window prompting for activation will pop up.
Note: if you have previously activated the Demo, or any other license, first go to Render settings > System > About Corona Renderer/Licensing, and click the "Remove license" button.
- Select the type of license you have purchased. Corona will try to connect to the Internet and:
- If it can connect to the activation server: will prompt for your registered email address and password (or serial number in case of the Box license). Just enter them, click next, and that's all.
- If it cannot connect to the server (either the computer does not have Internet access, or firewall blocks the connection): you will see your request code along with a link for the offline activation page.
Visit the link ( https://corona-renderer.com/customer-zone/ ), make sure you are logged in using your registered email address, then input your request code in the "Paste request code" field, and click "Activate FairSaaS". The page will display your activation code. Just copy it back to Corona Renderer activation window, click next, and that's all.
5. Corona is now activated. You can see the license status in the Render Setup > System > About Corona Renderer / Licensing rollout.
Note: to deactivate your current license, go to Render Setup > System > About Corona Renderer / Licensing rollout and press the "Remove license" button. To activate your license again, use the above procedure. This is useful in rare cases, for example when changing the active license type.
2. Corona Licensing Server
The easiest way to activate Corona Renderer on multiple computers over LAN is using our Corona Licensing Server. It is especially useful for render farms.
3. Render Farms and Computers without 3ds Max GUI
If you need to activate Corona Renderer on a farm, or on a computer without access to 3ds Max GUI, please see the following article: Activating Corona on renderfarms and computers without 3ds Max GUI
4. Environment variable activation
Variable name: CORONA_ACTIVATION
- For email and password, use format “email:password”
- For licensing server address, use format “LS:address”
NOTE: if you use the "email:password" format, please consider that your login credentials are exposed to anyone with access to the computer!
I cannot locate my password / serial number
- If you own a FairSaaS license: reset your password here https://accounts.corona-renderer.com/account/recover and we will send you a password reset link by email.
- If you own a Box license: contact us, and we will send you your serial number.
The server says "Too many activations"
The number of computers that can be activated is limited by the number of licenses you have purchased. Please especially note that Box licenses are not floating. If you suffered a hardware failure or need to re-host your Box license to a different computer, please contact us. You will also get this message if you try to activate a Box license as FairSaaS.
How to activate Corona Renderer on a render node?
Generally, the installation and activation process is exactly the same on workstations and render nodes, so you can use the above "activating on a workstation" steps. If, for example, your render nodes do not have internet connection, or they do not have 3ds Max installed with its UI enabled, please see the following guide:
I cannot access Internet from my machine
- If you own a Box license: you can save the request code, input it here: https://corona-renderer.com/customer-zone/box (from another machine), and then input the activation code manually.
- If you own a FairSaaS license: you can either use the same technique as for the Box license, or you can use our licensing server if you have another machine on the network which has Internet access.
My license is not recognized after restarting 3ds MaxThe most probable cause is that you are using different user accounts, or just running applications under different accounts. The activation is per-user, so each user needs to activate the license separately. Note that activating the license for different users on a single computer does not count towards the activation limit.
Activation is required each time I start 3ds Max
Please see this short guide.
My license expiration date is wrong!
The "Activated until" date printed in Render Setup > System > About Corona Renderer / Licensing is NOT a date when Corona Renderer will stop working for you.
It shows a future date, on which the license will be automatically extended, provided that the computer is connected to the Internet or visible to the Corona Licensing Server. Don't worry if that period is shorter than expected - it will get automatically extended anyway.
If you experience any other issues with the activation process, please contact us, and we will be happy to help you.